The McAuley family has moved to Zambia for a 2 year (maybe more) stint as Jim takes on a role with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) Global AIDS Program. Amy and the kids will keep themselves busy with school and serving God in ways only He knows.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Time for a brief medical update. I have been out of the hospital for a week now. Forced to recover in a local bed and breakfast here in Pretoria. It is actually a nice place, but mostly I am resting and reading, not really site seeing. The State Department Medical Unit would not let me go back to Zambia with drains, tubes, and staples in place for fear I might develop an infection or other complication and get septic. They said, "Do you know how expensive it is to evacuate a septic patient?" The compassion was touching. I said, "Come on what are the odds of that..." Well, probably greater than the odds of developing a hole in one's colon, a pelvic abscess and fistula following a routine colonoscopy! It did strike me as somewhat ironic that an infectious disease doctor would be done in by septic shock. I did mention that I was well aware of the risks and as soon as I developed fever and evidence of a pelvic abscess in Lusaka a few weeks back (hematuria and pneumoturia for the medical people) I started oral ciprofolxacin and flagyl which I just happened to have on hand. I have always firmly believed that oral antibiotics are just as good as intravenous and I am sure this kept me stable during my transport here. They did not take this as reassuring but probably as a good reason to not let me go too soon - who knows what this guy might do if we send him back to Lusaka.

It is very tedious being away from everyone (except Amy who has been a true helpmate) with not much to do. I have managed to walk to the local CDC office and put in time on the computers there - teleworking. But one still feels pretty disconnected from work. I have always known that my self-image is tightly connected to what I do at work, but this has really highlighted that in my mind. How dare they survive without me! I also realize how much my self-image is tied to being a parent. Makes me wonder a bit about how I will do when I retire and the kids are all gone...maybe I will have to take up golf afterall! Not likely.

I have been much more tired than I expected. I also have a fair bit of pain with most movement thanks to the urinary catheter so I am looking forward to its removal on Monday. The actual incisions and holes are not so bad, although I am not sure I am ready for sit-ups just yet. I appreciated Sue Makin's comment that I am holier than most right now, probably the only time.

Enough for now. We appreciate your prayers. Jim

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete