The McAuley family has moved to Zambia for a 2 year (maybe more) stint as Jim takes on a role with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) Global AIDS Program. Amy and the kids will keep themselves busy with school and serving God in ways only He knows.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Conflict can be fun

Last week I had a wonderful opportunity to work with15 student evangelists at Justo Mwale Theological University College. Selina Zulu graciously asked me to co-facilitate "Peacemaking and Conflict Resolution"a course for their certificate program. In preparation, I read The Peacemaking Pastor: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Church Conflict, Working With Conflict: Skills and Strategies for Action, and World Report 2012:Events of 2011 (Human Rights Watch World Report). I was able to share some of the crazy cross-cultural conflicts I have experienced such as repeatedly saying "Ah... no" when relatives in Czechoslovakia kept bringing food out only to discover a day later "Ah, no" in Czech means "YES." The class was wonderful with skits, dramas and practical exercises each day. One day, I taught principles of using "I" statements and active listening during conflict mediation. Then the students created skits and performed in Chichewa. In one skit I could only tell there was a conflict over "mbuzi"/ goats. Otherwise, I was clueless. I began questioning the two actors and the audience. "Sooooo, tell me what happened in that skit? Did he use active listening techniques? What did you notice about his body language? Did he use "I" statements? How did you feel when he was talking to you? Did you trust him?" Even though I did not understand exactly what was said I about the goats, (It turns out they had gotten loose and eaten the neighbor's garden) I was still able to conduct a dissection and analysis of the conflict. Great fun. On the last day many of the participants thanked me and gave speeches about what they had learned. I felt so honored and was reminded about how much I enjoy small group participatory learning.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete