The McAuley family has moved to Zambia for a 2 year (maybe more) stint as Jim takes on a role with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) Global AIDS Program. Amy and the kids will keep themselves busy with school and serving God in ways only He knows.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Letters from the Hospital

As most of our family and friends know I (Jim) was flown to Pretoria last Wednesday for emergency surgery – seems I developed a hole in my colon which led to an abscess and fistula to my bladder. It has been quite a ride this past week. Up until now I have never really been a patient and my only stay in a hospital was as a small child when I had my tonsils out. All I remember from that episode is lots of ice cream and a new toy truck. I am waiting for the same this time.
I have taken the opportunity to read the new Bonheoffer biography, it was quite good. It also served as a healthy perspective on real suffering, by so many millions of people.  I won’t minimize the pain I have had this past week, but I am fortunate and have so many resources to address my physical problems; which is not the case for most people in the world. I am glad we came to Africa to do our small part to correct the situation, and am looking forward to getting back to work. However, I am afraid it will be at least 6 weeks before the king’s men can put me back together again.
I have so many somewhat random thoughts to share and I know that most of us have very short attention spans, so I will share just a few. I have been amazed and touched by all the family and friends who have wished me well and offered prayers and thoughts, I think I will make an even greater effort to do the same for others in the future, it means so much. I have been delighted to see my children rise to the occasion of living ‘alone’ (can you ever be alone with four adolescents in one house) – they come from good stock, on their mother’s side of course. I have been uplifted by the “coincidences” that have supported us here – from Zambian friends who just happened to be in South Africa and could come visit, a surgeon who worked at the same mission hospital that Amy and I have worked (Nkhoma, Malawi), a local Presbyterian Church, St. Columba’s (same name as ours in Lusaka) who came to visit, and a retired pastor and his wife who run a bed and breakfast that Amy happened upon and has served as a place of respite for her. I am reminded of the comment by Albert Einstein, “There are two ways to view the world, one is as if everything is a miracle, and the other is as if nothing is.” I am seeing a lot of miracles.
So, thanks to all of you for your prayers, looking in on the kids, researching treatment options for me, and covering in my absence at work. I anticipate discharge tomorrow but will need to remain in Pretoria for at least another week or so. Sometime in May or June I will return for a reconnection of the pieces. Pray specifically that I adjust to life as a colostomate (didn’t know that was a word until now) and learn to convalesce well. –Jim

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete