The McAuley family has moved to Zambia for a 2 year (maybe more) stint as Jim takes on a role with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) Global AIDS Program. Amy and the kids will keep themselves busy with school and serving God in ways only He knows.

Friday, September 9, 2011

What am I doing here?



With almost 4 weeks under our belts here in Zambia, a belt I might add, that I have had to literally tighten a notch (a good thing), I feel like I might be better able to answer the question, "So what will you be doing in Zambia?".

As many of you know Amy and I have felt a sense of call to serve overseas for many years. I am working for the Centers for Disease Control as a medical epidemiologist. My actual role seems to be broadly that of a physician-public health person who is to support "where needed most." The where needed most for the foreseeable future is helping articulate what the Global Health Initiative (http://www.ghi.gov/) means in Zambia, and designing and implementing an ambitious maternal mortality reduction plan in four districts. I hope to also engage in the University Teaching Hospital soon as they form an infectious disease fellowship. The Medical College is moving towards developing a School of Public Health and I hope to pitch in there as well. I am sure there are many other projects and tasks that I will get involved in over time.

My main concern is that I not let work overwhelm my time, there is much more to engage in here in Zambia - getting to know the people and culture. I truly hope to engage in the local church and the seminary and do not want my work at CDC to consume me.

Probably the biggest adjustment for me has been going from being in a leadership role at Rush to being somewhat peripheral. I suspect this is not such a bad thing - leadership has its headaches. But beyond fewer headaches, I think this will give me an opportunity to mature spiritually by forcing me to think about my ego, my pride, and my source of a sense of significance. Not bad lessons to learn as I turn 50 in few weeks.

My most significant early observation is that Zambia is a country moving forward from a development point of view but they must do something about the significant disparity in wealth. Of course this is a problem in most countries of the world, but the contrast here is huge. Well over half the population lives on $1-2 per day, with all of the issues associated with poverty (malnutrition, low life expectancy, poor education, etc.), while a significant proportion, particularly here in Lusaka, have most of the trappings as well as some of the problems (obesity) associated with wealth.

I am glad we came even though these initial days have been hard. One can hardly complain when there is so much true poverty around you, but I have to admit I would like to get into our permenant house, have a car, get our household effects, and have consistent internet.

I continue to pray the children will adjust well and hope you will do the same. - Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment