The McAuley family has moved to Zambia for a 2 year (maybe more) stint as Jim takes on a role with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) Global AIDS Program. Amy and the kids will keep themselves busy with school and serving God in ways only He knows.

Friday, November 30, 2012

The Pinnacle of God's Creation

I (Jim) was recently asked to give the keynote address for the annual breakfast meeting of the Zambia Interfaith Networking Group (ZINGO, www.zingo.co.zm). The invitation to speak was actually given to the US Ambassador, who declined and passed it along. ZINGO is a group started in 1997 with the goal of bringing together all of the leaders of the various faith communities in Zambia to address the HIV/AIDS epidemic. The breakfast corresponded with a two day meeting that brought together the deans of the various theological training institutes in Zambia to begin designing ways to incorporate HIV education into the training of pastors.

It was an interesting time for me to explore one of my passions - weaving faith and medicine together. I think the organizers wanted an update on "The State of the Epidemic". They got something a little different.

I have always viewed Genesis 1:27 "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them." as an important verse for those of us who serve others through medicine. I have used it while teaching medical students at Rush - knowing that it is a sacred text for the majority of the world (Muslims, Jews, Christians). I emphasize our need to see each patient in front of us as created in the image of God (Imago Dei) and therefore of immense value, worthy of our compassion. But as I contemplated the HIV epidemic in Africa and re-read the verses I began to see something quite different. Amy helped me see it even more clearly, thank God for her, but more on that later.

In Zambia the group of people with the highest rate of acquisition of HIV is girls aged 15-24 years. It is actually a shockingly steep "epi-curve" - meaning there is a steep and rapid rate of increase in HIV infection, not seen in boys of the same age. Of course this is because young girls are preyed upon by older men, who are often HIV infected. A recent study found that slightly over 80% of secondary school girls in Zambia had experienced sexual abuse - often by male teachers, but also by fellow students. There are many reasons for this, but fundamentally it is an issue of the mistreatment of women which is driven by a misunderstanding of the relationship of men, women, and God. Keep in mind that 80% of Zambians attend a Christian worship service at least once a week.

So, in my lecture I discussed where we have been as a faith community (borrowed from Dr. Peter Okaalet, MAP International) - condemning apathy, helpless resignation, apprehensive involvement, wholehearted involvement. All somewhat self-explanatory. I did suggest (okay so really I stated) that some of these responses were sinful and likely to invoke the displeasure (wrath?) of God.

I concluded by challenging the participants to re-think their views of women. Only then will we stop the HIV epidemic. I explained that doctors and public health experts can speak to the science of HIV prevention, but they (the religious leaders) could speak to the moral issues. I told them that I saw Genesis as telling me that women were equally created in God's image - there was no room for the idea of subordination, at least as typically understood and practiced. If they mistreated women, they mocked God and risked invoking His wrath and condemnation. I told them they must practice and teach the honoring of their women. I said that we need to see that men and women are equal. Not really a radical conclusion for me, as I have always considered myself a bit of a feminist (Gal 3:28, Eph 5:25). It was actually well received and I have been asked to come teach in the Muslim Institute, the Baptist Seminary, and the Presbyterian Seminary.

But when I came home and talked to Amy about the lecture she pointed out something I should have noticed before. The sequence of creation ends with the woman, suggesting she is the pinnacle of God's creation. I read Genesis as a text that is inerrant in what it teaches - the theology of creation (not necessarily the science). So why did God tell us that He made man (the first time in the creation story He fails to say "it was good", rather He says it was not good [for man to be alone]), and then made woman? I have begun reading the Hebrew and digging a bit deeper. I would be curious to hear from any of our blog followers.

But, I am struck with several ideas - maybe women reflect a part of God that men do not - a spirituality? a relationality? Maybe Eve was attacked by Satan not so much because she was the most vulnerable (as is typically taught) but because she most reflected the image of God (relational, spiritual, one who bears life - and would someday bear God [Mary=Theotokos]). Lots of ideas that bear a bit more thought.

Anyway, lots to think about. I thank God for the opportunity to teach and share here in Zambia, but especially for a wife who helps me think more deeply.

Jim

PS - interesting article on the church and HIV:

http://www.firstthings.com/article/2008/03/002-aids-and-the-churches-getting-the-story-right-27

No comments:

Post a Comment