The McAuley family has moved to Zambia for a 2 year (maybe more) stint as Jim takes on a role with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) Global AIDS Program. Amy and the kids will keep themselves busy with school and serving God in ways only He knows.

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Musings on faith, health, and healing

Last Sunday we went to a local church where there was a testimony given by a woman whose sister in law had recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. She shared how the woman and her husband decided to have faith and not have the surgery as recommended by her doctors. Indeed they seemed to see the idea of using standard medical care as a sign of weak faith, and a sure way to jeopardize miraculous healing.

It pained me to hear such a testimony.  The woman clearly understood her healing to be dependent upon her (and her family and friends) faith and prayers; if she demonstrated enough faith by eschewing medical care and praying earnestly, she would be healed. It did not even occur to her that God might actually work through the medical people in her life.

It reminded me of one definition of an idol - an object used to manipulate God. In essence she had made her prayers and behavior an idol - she was trying to manipulate God. And yet, isn't it appropriate to have faith? Doesn't God promise that we can do greater things than even Jesus, now that we have the Holy Spirit? Aren't we told in the book of James that we should have elders lay hands on us and pray and we will be healed?

And yet has there been a single Christian since Jesus' time here on earth who has not died? And haven't many (most)of the faithful servants of the Lord in the last 2000 years suffered at some point in their lives? Were the apostles just weak in their faith, all but John suffering a martyr's death? Am I weak in my faith when I suffer, when those around me suffer and die despite my prayers? Can my faith handle the reality of suffering and death?

I realize a blog spot is not the place to fully discuss the theological nuances of such difficult questions, but I was glad for the chance to have a good conversation with my children about faith, God's love, suffering, and death.

I find great comfort in two Old Testament books - Job and Daniel. In Daniel 3:17-18 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego are about to be thrown into the fiery furnace for refusing to worship the idol king Nebuchadnezzar had created and they said (words I hope to be able to say in times of deep suffering), "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, we will not serve your gods or serve the image of gold you have set up." I hope to say to Satan - "God is able to rescue me from this suffering and illness, but even if he does not...I will serve Him alone."

The other book, Job, is a beautiful piece of literature and deserves attention from all people of faith.
My quick take away message is that I am not God, I will likely never fully understand God's ways, but that is okay, and as it should be. I took great comfort in reflecting upon Job some 23 years ago when my first born was seizing in the neonatal intensive care unit clinging to life, and my wife was re-admitted to the hospital with post-partum infection/sepsis. I remember standing in the call room in the hospital praying to God and saying, "You are God, in control of this universe, may Your will be done, and may I have the strength to endure it..."

May we all cultivate a faith that believes in the miraculous yet accepts God's will and refrains from trying to manipulate God.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dr.McAuley

    I received your family's 2011 Christmas Letter in mail today in Taiwan. Amy was my spiritual mentor in 2004 when I was studying at Northwestern University. It's interesting that we have lost contact for several years and suddenly I hear this good news that your family is on a medical mission trip in Africa. Even though I haven't talked to Amy for a long time, I still think of her from time to time since her influence on me in faith is significant. I still remember Amy told me how much you two want to work for God in Africa but God didn't open the door back then. God's time schedule is always different from ours and I am still struggling to get used to it. The sentence "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven" in the Lord's prayer is really something difficult to obey when suffering comes.

    During these years in Taiwan, I have been sharing God's words and the Gospel with my students. Some of them were converted into Christians especially those who met me when they were in elementary school. Still, I have been wrestling with God in some areas. As my parents grow older, I am afraid the day of facing terminal disease will come and they are not saved yet. I totally agree with the point you brought up about curing cancer by prayers is manipulating God.

    When I first came back to Taiwan, my dad was in some trouble at work. I tried to share the Gospel with my parents but my mom said as long as God got us out of this trouble, she would believe in Jesus. I didn't say anything at that time because I know that's not how God works. God does allow suffering to mold us. Actually, I haven't done anything to help them know God more since then. And I know death will come no matter how hard I pray for them if they were in a critical medical condition.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on faith, prayer in disease. This is a cruel reality everyone on earth must face. Being the only child in my family and single at the age of 35, I don't know how I will feel when I know sometimes God's plan can be death without being saved.

    Pls give my e-mail to Amy. I would like to talk to her to see how she is doing now. My e-mail is:
    ingridke@hotmail.com.tw


    May God be with your family and all the suffering kids you are treating.


    Ingrid Ke

    ReplyDelete